How Your Pet Can Help You Identify Toxic Mold

Moisture caused by flooding, humidity, or a slow leak within your home can contribute to mold growth. When mold begins growing in your home, it can wreak havoc on the health of your family. Identifying mold growth can be challenging, but your pet can help you determine if mold is becoming a problem within your home.

Here are three signs to watch for in your pet when trying to determine if you need to contact a mold remediation specialist to treat your home in the future.

1. Your pet begins scratching more frequently.

If you notice that your pet begins to scratch him or herself more frequently, but you can't identify a potential source of discomfort (like fleas or dry skin), then mold could be to blame. Mold growth can often occur where pipes extend from the wall, placing the mold within easy reach of your pet.

As your pet rubs up against these low lying areas of mold growth, spores can become lodged in his or her fur. These mold spores can create an itchy feeling that will cause your pet to scratch more than usual. Be sure to check for any areas of mold that need to be professionally removed if your notice your pet scratching more frequently.

2. Your pet develops a rash.

Contact with mold spores can trigger an allergic reaction in your pet. If you notice that your pet keeps getting rashes, but your vet can't find an explanation for these skin irritations, then mold spores could be to blame.

Conduct a sweep of your home looking for discoloration that could signal a water leak and checking for a musty smell in bathrooms, the kitchen, or your laundry room. These are signs that mold could be negatively affecting the health of your pet and should be professionally removed.

3. Your pet's nose bleeds.

It's not common for an animal's nose to bleed, so this could be a sign that your home has been infiltrated by toxic mold. Animals typically spend a lot of time sniffing the floors and walls of their home. This places your pet at risk for inhaling mold spores.

These spores can irritate the delicate tissue within your pet's sinus cavity, causing his or her nose to bleed. Be sure to have a mold remediation specialist remove any toxic mold from your home if your pet's nose bleeds can be attributed to mold growth.

Understanding how your pet can help you identify toxic mold in your home will allow you to have this mold professionally removed by a company like Colfax Corporation to keep your pet and your family safe from mold exposure in the future.

Share