Using Hydrogen Peroxide To Remove Mold From Hard And Soft Surfaces

While chlorine bleach is the go-to mold remover in many homes, it does have its downside. When you clean with bleach, it releases harsh fumes. While some can tolerate these fumes, many find them quite irritating. If you've ever noticed that you cough or wheeze after using bleach, it's probably because the fumes it gives off are irritating your respiratory tract. Children and pets are even more susceptible to bleach fumes than the average adult. If you've had a bad reaction to bleach in the past, or if you live with children or pets, it's a good idea to use a different mold remover. Hydrogen peroxide, which is very safe in the 3% concentration usually sold in drugstores, is a great choice.

Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide as a Mold Remover

How do you know hydrogen peroxide is safe? It can be used as a mouthwash and tooth whitener, and it's an ingredient in many whitening toothpastes. Hydrogen peroxide could be dangerous if ingested, but if anyone in your family touches it, you don't have to worry. Hydrogen peroxide is also a good choice for mold removal because it kills viruses and bacteria too. Since mold and these other germs often go hand-in-hand, it's nice to know you're tackling everything with one solution.

Removing Mold from Hard Surfaces with Hydrogen Peroxide

To remove mold from a hard surface, such as a painted wall; shower stall; bathtub or tile floor, pour 3% hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Spray it liberally onto the surface, and then let it sit for a few minutes. Use a sponge to scrub away the mold, and then rinse the area with clean water. If a slight mold stain remains, repeat the process a second time.

Removing Mold from Soft Items with Hydrogen Peroxide

Keep in mind that hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent and will lighten many dark-colored fabrics. If you're not willing to risk lightening a dark-colored item, you may want to try a different mold removal option, such as vinegar or tea tree oil, instead. For small items like clothing, towels and wash clothes, pour hydrogen peroxide into a bucket, and immerse the item. Let it sit for 5 minutes, and then scrub the moldy spots to loosen the mold. Rinse the item, and then scrub it again with detergent and water to remove the last traces of mold discoloration.

Cleaning large soft surfaces with hydrogen peroxide is more difficult since bleaching may occur. Usually, you don't have to worry about pale-colored rugs and carpets, but dark ones might come out looking a little spotty. Test the peroxide in a small, non-conspicuous area to see whether it bleaches out the color. If it does, you'll want to explore other non-bleach options for mold-removal, such as white vinegar and commercial products made specifically for removing mold from dark rugs.

To treat a carpet with hydrogen peroxide, pour the peroxide into a spray bottle, and then spray the moldy area liberally. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so, and then scrub the area well to loosen the mold. Next, blot up as much liquid as possible with a towel. Spray the area with clear water, and then blot up the liquid again.

Hydrogen peroxide is a great solution for removing small to moderate amounts of mold from your home. It's safe to use around kids and pets, so you can get your home back into shape without worrying about health risks.

If you find that you need professional help, contact a mold remediation company like MoldStoppers to get your home back to a clean and healthy state. 

Share